Orchard Cottage Garden Accommodation building / Granny annexe Horsham West Sussex
Garden Offices, Garden Studios, Gazebos, Garden Rooms, Outdoor Kitchens, Animal Houses, Log Cabins, Garden Lodges, Bespoke Garden Buildings
Snapshots ("Real Project" Case-Studies)Here you can find information about a Garden Accommodation Building / Granny annexe with Bathroom and Kitchen. All our case studies include: 1. The client request 2.The main design criteria following consultation and site-visit 3.The agreed specification of materials and project budget 4. The actual cost of the project.
More SnapshotsIn the right hand column is a list with thumbnail photos of other "real projects" snapshots in the same format.
1. The Client requestThe clients wanted a building for guests to stay. It should suit the rural setting and the sometimes wet sloping site 6m long and 5.5m wide with internal space of 30 sq m. The building is for general family use with two main rooms, a small bathroom and a kitchen area.
To suit the site a 30 degree pitch western red cedar shingled roof was combined with waney edge siberin larch cladding,
Essentially this is high quality self-contained accommodation for guests / family friends with the potential of full time home for an elederly relative at sometime in the futurre.
Plenty of storage space in the bedroom area and a covered private seating area with security balustrade.
The structure stands on a slightly sloping site overlooking the adjacent orchard. There are three small safe staircase entrances.
The drainage would need to be pumped up 0.5m in height in order to avoid installation of a separate septic tank.
2. The Design Criteria Statement
The design criteria was quite complex: A comfortable all year round short break and staying over facility was required with potential of becoming permanent residence facility. The building should take advantage of its location and the privacy required by occupants. Enough space for visitors to stay with all the facilities built in low maintenance, no wires on show and all round child safe. A budget of £40,000 was to be made available
3. The Design Issues
- A beautiful site on a slight slope with a land drainage
- Drainage solution which maintained costs on client budget to
be provided by GSL small bore pump system.
- The build should be managed to
ensure built in pipes and wires were accurately placed etc.
- Maximise the storage space available in the bedroom areas
and maintain the vaulted ceiling throughout to provide a feeling
- Plumbing and drainage should be low maintenace
- Total internal space should be 30 sqm (within permitted
development and under the necessity for full building
- All balustrading and access to be totally child / elderly person-safe.
- Chosen base solution was timber frame on pillars with cantilevered overhang to suspended decking area.
4. The Budget /Pricing / Costs
- Building kit £21950
- Installation on finished
- Electrical £1400
- Groundwork £1800
- Deck and balustrade £1000
- Kitchennette £950
- Plumbing (including small bathroom with corner shower ,small
bore pump system) £3698
- Underfloor heating and high quality floor covering
- Total Project cost £40,293 (figures exclude VAT at
To find out more about this project email enquiries to email@example.com Address: Garden Structures, Garden Office and Garden Studio Specialists Bracken House, Woodlands Road, Chester, Cheshire CH4 8LB (near Manchester, Liverpool and North Wales) or telephone anytime on 07376 746265 we have local knowledge see > have we built near you